Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Halder Jyethu

The opposite house in Agartala is Halder Jyethu's (Jyethu- someone whom my baba calls as dada - elder). He is actually my jyathamoni's (my baba's real elder brother) classmate. Both jyathamani and Halder Jyethu, whenever they meet will talk about the older school days. They'll recall some Kalu Mia who shifted to Bangladesh after partition. Also how good a football player was Kalu, they'll share. So I had come to know about their few childhood incidences also.
Though Halder Jyethu is jyathamani's classmate, he used to come to my baba more often and speak about so many things.
He is a wonderful orator. He can create the space wonderfully. Once I sit with them, I was not able to come out of it. Another beautiful thing about my parents is that they never said no to join their discussion. So I would what is happening in whose family and life.
Also Halder Jyethu would repeat the stories or incidences and till it would sound fresh every time.
He was having a knack of reading books and listening to Indian classical music. I got the habit of listening classical music after he told so many instances of great Indian artists like Bismillah Khan,Ravi Shankar ...
I remember how excited he used to get when he talked about Paluskar's movie songs -it was from a all time memorable Bengali movie.
He was very fond of the books by Swami Vivekananda. I remember once he shared about a message by Swami Vivekananda " The opposites have same reaction". The example put by Swamiji was that when there is no sun we cant see anything. Also when we see at the sun we can't see anything.
So I've a thought inside me - is it then correct that the two extremes in the number line plus infinity and minus infinity also produce the same effect. And it actually means that the two ends of the straight line is actually meeting at some point and thus the straight line is a part of a circle ! May be I'll die with this theory unable to prove, and next life I'll come to establish this idea. ( So does it mean that I believe in reincarnation? Nope. I got a strong message from Maharshi Raman - reincarnation is possible if there is life and death. If there is no life and death how can reincarnation possible)
Another time Halder Jyethu was talking about Syed Mustafa Siraj ( I don't know whether the spelling is correct, I know the Bengali correct spelling!). He is most probably one of the best human being born in the earth. He lived his life the way he wanted. And the novels written by him too good. You need to read to understand how humorous one can be.

Whenever I go to Agartala, I meet him. Ask about his health. He's now fallen sick with the diseases from old age.
Even then it's fun sitting and talking with him.

No comments: